SKILLS REFRESHER COURSE: HALF DAY
Ideal for: Anyone who’s completed either the one-day or two-day course
Length: Half day
Cost: £125 per person
The four-hour Refresher course will support your Mental Health First Aiders and MHFA Champions by:
- Renewing their skills
- Updating their knowledge of mental health supports
- Giving them the chance to practice applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
What to expect
The Mental Health First Aid Refresher training course contains a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions as well as videos and case studies.
The instructor will provide a safe, inclusive learning environment for participants and will provide in-depth guidance, necessary support and signposting.
Why it’s important
Just as physical first aiders must undertake refresher courses to keep their skills finely tuned and their reactions and responses sharp, so must Mental Health First Aiders.
With more being understood, discussed and implemented surrounding mental health and wellbeing in the workplace, new actions, responses and terminology are constantly emerging. If your Mental Health First Aiders or MHFA Champions are kept up-to-date with such changes, via the Refresher courses, they will be knowledgeable in current and appropriate reactions, responses and support. This course content will also cover any new further support channels that have become available.
Topics the mental health Refresher course covers are:
- General discussions about changes or exacerbations to mental health
- Updated knowledge of the factors which affect and trigger mental health, like new and varied forms of stress
- Mental health perceptions, misconceptions and stigmas
- Updated frames of reference and non-judgement conversations
- Refreshed practice of supportive conversations using ALGEE
- New and existing early warning signs and symptoms of mental ill-health
- Updates surrounding depression and anxiety
- Further discussion around first aid for suicidal crisis and prevention of suicidal crisis
- Refreshed practice of vital MHFA skills
- Independent self-care, wellbeing and recovery
- An updated list of new useful resources
To continue to help and support mental health in the workplace, ongoing conversations and training must continue to be had so that employees are confident in their knowledge and abilities. Refresher courses can keep participants feeling confident should they need to be called upon in the event of mental ill-health.
Upon completion of the course, participants receive:
- Refreshed knowledge of mental health, its influences and causes
- Abilities to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental ill-health
- Refreshed ways to provide help and support
- Refreshed knowledge of appropriate professional help and further support
- How to remain mindful of individual wellbeing