MHFA REFRESHER COURSE
The four-hour course will support your Mental Health First Aiders by:
- Renewing their skills
- Updating their knowledge of mental health supports
- Giving them the chance to practice applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
What to expect from the MHFA Refresher Course
The MHFA Refresher Course contains group activities, presentations, discussions, videos and case studies.
The instructor will provide a safe, inclusive learning environment for participants and will provide in-depth guidance, necessary support and signposting.
Why the MHFA Refresher Course is important
Just as physical first aiders must undertake refresher courses to keep their skills finely tuned, so must Mental Health First Aiders.
With more being understood, discussed and implemented surrounding mental health and wellbeing in the workplace, new actions and responses are constantly emerging. If your Mental Health First Aiders or MHFA Champions are kept up-to-date with changes, via the MHFA Refresher courses, they will be knowledgeable in current and appropriate responses and support. The MHFA Refresher course content will also cover any new further support channels that have become available.
Topics the course covers are:
- General discussions about changes to mental health
- Updated knowledge of factors which can affect and trigger mental ill-health, like new and varied forms of stress
- Mental health perceptions, misconceptions and stigmas
- Updated frames of reference and non-judgement conversations
- Refreshed practice of supportive conversations using ALGEE
- New and existing early warning signs and symptoms of mental ill-health
- Updates surrounding depression and anxiety
- Further discussion around first aid for suicidal crisis and prevention of suicidal crisis
- Refreshed practice of vital MHFA skills
- Independent self-care, wellbeing and recovery
- An updated list of new useful resources
To continue to help and support mental health in the workplace, ongoing conversations and training must continue. This way, employees can be confident in their knowledge and abilities. MHFA Refresher courses can keep participants feeling confident should they need to be called upon in the event of a mental health crisis.
Upon completion of the MHFA Refresher Course, participants receive:
- Refreshed knowledge of mental health, its influences and causes
- Abilities to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental ill-health
- Refreshed ways to provide help and support
- Refreshed knowledge of appropriate professional help and further support
- How to remain mindful of individual wellbeing