MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID ENGLAND COURSE: ONE DAY
Ideal for: Anyone with people management responsibilities
Length: One day
Cost: £200 per person
Our one-day mental health training for managers qualifies you as an MHFA Champion. MHFA Champions have:
- An understanding of common mental health issues
- Knowledge and confidence to advocate for mental health awareness
- Ability to spot signs of mental ill health
- Skills to support positive wellbeing
What to expect
This one-day course will cover:
- The basics of Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) and how to implement an action plan step-by-step.
- An in-depth look at key skills to utilise when using MFHA, such as non-judgemental listening and more.
- Mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety disorders, plus some basic information about other mental health issues like eating disorders, self-harm and psychosis.
- Key information about mental health stigma and discrimination, how it can present and how to combat it.
- Early warning signs of mental ill health plus early intervention techniques.
- Workplace wellness information and stress management skills for building a mentally healthy workplace.
- Alcohol, drugs and how they impact mental health.
Through group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan. We can deliver training to a maximum of 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Why it’s important
Mental health knowledge for managers can support a managers’ responsibilities of looking after their team, as well as their workload.
Employees may fear being honest about missing days due to mental ill health, for fear of prejudices and stigma. Mental Health First Aid Champion training is the first step to altering perceptions and instigating trust.
Managers are often at an advantage to spot early warning signs and symptoms of poor mental health. For example, an employee’s notable change in persona.
Within MHFA Champion training, managers will possess the ability to recognise signs and symptoms of mental ill-health; gain a more thorough understanding of how to create a mentally healthy workplace; and have both the knowledge and confidence to support positive wellbeing. In addition, managers will also be able to identify areas of their business that could be changed or improved to allow for better mental health and wellbeing.
Upon completion of the course all participants retain a copy of the Line Managers Resource, which gives actionable support plans and suggestions for how to manage and aid a staff member who may be suffering with mental ill-health.
MHFA Champions are at the front line of supporting staff and enabling them to talk honestly and openly about any troubles they may be experiencing.
Upon completion of the course everyone receives:
- An MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever they need it
- A certificate to say they are an MHFA Champion
- A copy of the Line Managers’ Resource, an invaluable source of advice on how to support an employee experiencing mental ill health.